Guide to Senate Immigration Bill on Path to Legal Permanent Residence and Citizenship

Posted over 1 year ago. 2 helpful votes


A Group of 8 Senators, both Republican and Democrat, have devised a new immigration path to citizenship.

The three ways to get your green card are:

  1. Dreamer
  2. Standard Path
  3. Agricultural Worker

All paths require registration as a Registered Provisional Immigrant (RPI)


Under this path to citizenship, the fastest track to citizenship is 10 years (5 years as green card holder, then wait 5 more to apply for Citizenship). You must have been under the age of 16 when you came to the US and have completed high school or got your GED. Also, you must have completed 2 years of college or served in the US military for 4 years. You may also be required to pay back taxes if you worked at any time and did not pay taxes.

Standard Path

Under this path, the fastest track to citizenship is 13 years. Your RPI status will last 6 years before you must reapply. To reapply for RPI status, you must not have been unemployed for more than 60 days or haven't spent more than 180 days out of the country AND you aren't likely to become a public charge, AND your income is higher than the federal poverty level for all six years. After 10 years, you can apply for your green card if you you met all the requirements listed and your income has been 125% of the poverty guideline for the last 6 years. After 3 years as a green card holder (Legal Permanent Resident), you can apply for Citizenship.

Agriculture Worker

This track is also known as the "Blue Card" path. Under this path, the fastest track to citizenship is 8 years. To qualify for this track, you must have worked 100 days between 2011 and 2012 as an agricultural worker. You will receive your Blue Card, then after 5 years, you can apply for your green card if you performed agricultural work for at least 150 days for 3 out of the last 5 years as a Blue Card holder. You must pay any back taxes if you worked and did not file taxes. Three years after you receive your green card, you can apply for Citizenship.


You must first register as a Registered Provisional Immigrant (RPI). Also you must meet the requirements below:

  • never been convicted of a felony
  • never been convicted of 3 or more misdemeanors
  • never been convicted of unlawful voting
  • never been convicted of an offense under foreign law
  • not be considered a potential terrorist by DHS
  • not arrived in the US in 2012 or 2013
  • not lived in another country in 2012 or 2013
  • paid all back taxes if worked in US and not paid taxes in US

Additional Resources

Visual Guide to Immigation Bill

Rate this guide

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,029 answers this week

3,426 attorneys answering