Green Cards Through Marriage

Carl Michael Shusterman

Video posted by  Pro

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Contributor Level 20

Posted about 2 years ago. 26 helpful votes


Foreign-born persons who enter into a bona fide marriage with a U.S. citizen are considered “immediate relatives" for the purpose of obtaining green cards. This frees them from quota restrictions and, if they are in the U.S., allows them to adjust their status to permanent residents. In this video, Carl Shusterman, a former INS Attorney (1976-82) whose law firm has assisted thousands of persons across the U.S. in becoming permanent residents for nearly 30 years, explains the basics of the process.

Our aim is to make the immigration process as smooth as possible. Should you have a religious ceremony or elope to Las Vegas? Who should attend your wedding? Does the bride need to change her name? What if you don’t live together? What should you wear to green card interview? What kind of questions will the examiner ask you? Do you need to hire an attorney? When will you get a work permit? Will you be able to go abroad for your honeymoon? How long will your green card be valid?

We hope that our video answers many of your questions about the process.

Additional information is available on our Green Cards Through Family Members web page.

Additional Resources

Marriage Green Card Attorneys

Green Cards Through Marriage

Green Cards Through Relatives

I-601A Provisional Waivers

I-751 Waiver Where Marriage Ends in Divorce

Adjustment of Status

Rate this guide

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,072 answers this week

3,060 attorneys answering