Grandparents in Texas: An Overview of Texas Grandparents Rights

Angelina Maria Monte Zinn

Written by

Family Law Attorney - Houston, TX

Contributor Level 12

Posted over 3 years ago. Applies to Texas, 1 helpful vote



Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children. ~Alex Haley. Grandparents are a blessing to grandchildren's lives and vice-versa. While Texas recognizes grandparents' rights, it is only under specific circumstances.

Visitation or Custody

Grandparents do have rights in Texas, under certain fact intensive situations. First, the question is whether you are seeking access of your son-in-law or to be named his managing conservator. Traditionally, Texas grandparents may file an original suit only if seeking managing conservatorship; whereas, if seeking possession or access to your grandchild, you may only intervene in a pending suit. In either situation, a grandparent's standing is a difficult issue to overcome for many reasons not addressed herein.


If you are seeking possession or access, you may only intervene in an original suit or a suit for modifying the parent-child relationship. A grandparent in general may file suit affecting the parent-child relationship, if among other things, has had actual control, care, and possession of the child for at least 6 months (which is not the case here, but is given for an example only). A grandparent may also file suit for managing conservatorship if the court finds the present circumstances are harmful to the child. In either situation, it seems that Texas Courts have heavily put the burden on grandparents to prove their position.

Best Interest At the end of the day, however, Texas Courts also look to the best interest of the child. This is the primary consideration whether a grandparent is seeking possession and/or managing conservator.

Additional Resources

Grandparents Programs In Your Area

Rate this guide

Related Topics

Visitation rights in child custody agreements

Child visitation refers to non-custodial parents' rights to visit their children. These rights are commonly detailed in a visitation plan.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,208 answers this week

3,520 attorneys answering