Federal Estimated Taxes

Steven J. Fromm

Written by

Tax Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Contributor Level 20

Posted almost 4 years ago. 2 helpful votes



Sources Of Income That Usually Require Estimated Tax Payments

If you have income from sources such as self-employment, interest, dividends, alimony, rent, gains from the sales of assets, prizes or awards, then you may have to pay estimated tax. Basically independent contractors, sole proprietors, partners and taxpayers with significant passive income or other income usually must set up quarterly estimated taxes.


Requirements For Paying Estimated Taxes

As a general rule, you must pay estimated taxes if both of these tests are applicable to your situation: 1) You expect to owe at least $1,000 in tax after subtracting your tax withholding (if you have any) and credits, and 2) You expect your withholding and credits to be less than the smaller of 90% of your current year taxes or 100% (110% for certain high income taxpayers) of the tax on your prior year return. Note: For farmers, fishermen, certain household employers and certain higher income taxpayers special rules apply.


Sole Proprietors, Partners and S Corporation Shareholders Usually Must Make Estimated Taxes

For Sole Proprietors, Partners and S Corporation shareholders, you generally have to make estimated tax payments if you expect to owe $1,000 or more in tax when you file your return.


Calculating Your Estimated Tax

To figure your estimated tax, include your expected gross income, taxable income, taxes, deductions and credits for the year. There is a useful worksheet in Form 1040ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals for making these computations. You want to be as accurate as possible to avoid penalties. Often times, it is useful to overestimate income and underestimate expenses to make sure that the installments end up being sufficient to avoid penalties. Also, taxpayers need to consider changes in their tax situation during the year and recent and to be enacted tax law changes.


Four Quarters

The year is divided into four payment periods, or due dates, for estimated tax purposes. Those dates generally are April 15, June 15, Sept. 15 and Jan. 15, except in the rare case when an individual taxpayer has a fiscal tax year.


Use Form 1040ES To Pay

Form 1040ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals, provides instructions, worksheets, schedules and payment vouchers. You can pay estimated taxes by check or money order using the Estimated Tax Payment voucher.


Easier Way To Pay: EFTPS

The easiest way to pay estimated taxes, however, is electronically through the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System or EFTPS.


Pay With Credit Or Debit Card

You can also pay estimated taxes by credit or debit card.

Additional Resources

For more information on estimated taxes refer to Form 1040ES and its instructions, as well as Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax. These forms and publications are available at http://www.irs.gov or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

Rate this guide

Related Topics

Small business s-corporation

An S corporation does not pay federal income taxes, instead passing its income, losses, deductions, and credits through to its shareholders.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,586 answers this week

3,216 attorneys answering