Child Support-Income

Most of the guidelines take into consideration the income of both parents. The percentage of the couple's combined income that each parent contributes helps determine the amount they will be obligated to pay in child support. Some states will base their formula on gross income, while others will use net income.


Healthcare expense

The child support order needs to spell out who will pay for the children's health insurance. The amount spent on health insurance is added to the basic child support order and then credited to the parent who pays it. Many states' guidelines call for a certain amount of additional support to cover out of pocket health care expenses that may be incurred. Extraordinary medical expenses will be taken into consideration as well.


Shared Custody and Visitation

Many of the guidelines try to account for the amount of time that the children spend with each parent in determining the amount of the child support award. The more time that the children spend with the non-custodial parent, the more expenses that parent incurs to support he children. In situations where there is shared custody or extensive visitation, the amount of child support awarded will probably be less than in situations where there is sole custody and little visitation. In a case to determine the amount of child support that should be awarded, there is a presumption that the child support guidelines provide the correct amount. However, it is possible to obtain an award that is higher or lower than the amount determined by the guidelines. This will require a judicial determination of extenuating factors that require a deviation from the guidelines.


Here at the Law Offices of Michael Kuldiner, P.C. we know that going through a divorce can be difficult

We have assisted our clients with the following: oNo Fault Divorce oChild Support oAlimony oChild Support oSpouse Support oProperty Settlements oAnnulments oChild Custody oVisitation oContested Divorce oUncontested Divorce oProtection from Abuse oAdoption oName Change