Family-Based Green Cards

Posted over 4 years ago. 1 helpful vote



Four Step Broad Overview

The forms are not that difficult. That's why many people complete the forms themselves. The first form is I-130 for the Visa Petition. There are extensive instructions to this form. Second, you need a priority date that becomes current. Third, file an application for permanent residence or a green card. Fourth, enter the U.S. with an Immigrant Visa.


Do I need a Lawyer?

Although many people don't need a lawyer for this process, there's nothing wrong with asking for help. In fact, if you need help, get it. You don't want to make a mistake with such an important process. You want a lawyer that specializes in Immigration Law. Finding a lawyer on AVVO is a good start. Asking friends or family members that have gone through this process with a lawyer is also a good idea. Nonprofit organizations can also help you find a good lawyer. Be careful if a lawyer walks up to you in USCIS office and solicits business. Also, just because a lawyer dresses well and has a nice office doesn't mean the lawyer is any good. I do not practice Immigration Law, but can refer a few good lawyers.


Pros and Cons

Pros: Work experience or education does not matter. Your spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age generally qualify as derivative, accompanying relatives. Cons: It can be taken away if you live outside of the U.S. for too long, commit a crime or fail to notify the government of an address change.

Additional Resources

Rate this guide

Related Topics

Family-based green card

Citizens and permanent residents may sponsor their relatives for permanent residence in the United States.

Danielle Nelisse

Green Card Marriage Interview

The immigration interview husbands and wives are required to attend in order to get the foreign spouse their green card (lawful permanent residence) through marriage can be very anxiety... more

Immigrant visas

Immigrant visas can lead to permanent residence in the US, but they require being sponsored by either a family member or employer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,106 answers this week

3,297 attorneys answering