DREAMers Prepare!

David Eli Larson

Written by  Pro

Immigration Attorney

Contributor Level 15

Posted over 1 year ago. 2 helpful votes



1. Get a certified copy of your birth certificate and a translation, if necessary.

The translator must certify that he or she is fluent in English and the particular language involved and that the translation is complete and accurate.


2. Get documentation you have continuously lived in the U.S. five years or more before June 15, 2012, and were present in the U.S. on June 15, 2012.

Documentation might be: a. School records, grade cards, transcripts, b. Medical records, c. Affidavits of friends, relatives, neighbors, school or religious officials or others, d. Summer program participation records, e. Sports participation records, f. Newspaper mentions, g. Photographs with dates occasions and people identified, h. Or anything else you can think of that helps to show you were here during the required period.


3. If you have a final order of deportation, you will need a copy of it.

If you have this, you can apply to ICE for deferred action immediately and do not have to wait for the USCIS announcement. Also, if you have this, you can be any age and still be eligible to apply.


4. Get one or more of the following documents:

a. Enrollment verification from your school, b. Other school records, such as those listed above, to show you are currently enrolled. c. Your transcript and diploma showing graduation from high school. d. Your GED certificate, e. Your honorable discharge record from the US Coast Guard or US Armed Forces,


5. Get certified court and police records for any criminal charges or convictions.

Just because you have a conviction doesn't necessarily mean you will be ineligible for deferred action. On the other hand, some convictions would be likely to make you deportable. It is essential to consult with an immigration lawyer to review your case.


6. Meet with an immigration lawyer to review the documents and the risks and benefits of applying for deferred action

Deferred action carries benefits in authorizing you to be in the US, and giving you the potential to obtain work authorization and a social security number, but the status could be taken away from you at any time, and could result in putting you in removal (deportation) proceedings.

Additional Resources

See the links below for additional information.

FAQ deferred action for DREAMers

Napolitano Memo

Morton Memo

United We Dream

ICE Public Advocate

Immigration and Customs Enforcement

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,116 answers this week

2,715 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,116 answers this week

2,715 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary