On June 15, 2012 the Department of Homeland Security formally announced that it will offer deferred action to "DREAMers." For all the promising undocumented youth who call America home this represents the opportunity to come out of the shadows and fully embrace the only country they know. AILA embraces this bold action provide relief and enable these young people to actively contribute to our society and economy.
Eligible individuals must:
- Be 15-30 years old, and have entered before age 16
- Have been present in the U.S. for 5 years as of June 15, 2012
- Have maintained continuous residence
- Have not been convicted of a felony, a significant misdemeanor or multiple minor misdemeanors
- Be currently in school, graduated or have a GED, or is an honorably discharged veteran