DO YOU HAVE A PERSONAL INJURY OR WORKERS' COMPENSATION CASE IN ILLINOIS?PERSONAL INJURY
Who are the parties? What is the statute of limitations?
- Two years exception for minors and other situations. Basically, you need to know when did it happen, to whom, and by whom.
- Be careful for shorter limits for specific cases--this is why you need to call a lawyer immediately rather than give it time to work itself out--waiting can kill any case you may have!
- Medical Insurance--how will you pay for treatment?
- Auto Insurance--look to individual AND household members.
- Other parties (driver, owner, premises)--policy limits
- Uninsured/Underinsured--you may have more coverage if the other driver has a low limit policy.
- Med Pay--this could also help pay your bills.
- DO take photos of autos, premises, injuries!
- DO NOT give statements!
- DO NOT plead guilty to any traffic citations without first consulting an attorney!
WORKERS' COMPENSATIONParties/Statute of Limitations
- Sole and exclusive action of employee (and just because your boss says you are an "independent contractor" does not mean you are necessarily!) against employer generally.
- Exceptions such as dual capacity, discrimination etc.
- In other words, if you are injured while at work, most likely your ONLY case is workers' compensation.
- TTD or Temporary Total Disability (time off work).
- Medical--choice of "2" providers or their referrals.