Dissolution under Washington's Domestic Partnership Law

Michael David Coffman

Written by


Contributor Level 8

Posted about 6 years ago. Applies to Washington, 2 helpful votes



Initial Steps for Dissolving a Domestic Partnership

You should consult with an attorney. The meretricious relationship case laws are still in effect; these can lead to differing results to that of a "marriage". The forms necessary are available through the Washington Courts system.


Filing and Dissolution

Prior to 2006, two separate actions were necessary if children were involved in a "meretricious" relationship. Same Sex couples having children had to engage in two separate actions- a civil action for the division of assets, and a "domestic" action regarding any children. This process has now been coupled together so a single action needs to be filed as a domestic matter. After June 12, 2008, uncontested domestic partnerships can no longer be dissolved simply by filing paperwork with the Secretary of State. These partnerships must now be conducted through the court system, much like a divorce.

Additional Resources

The Washington State Courts system has many of the pattern forms you need for dissolution with or without children. For a good guide on the process involving dissolution in general, the NW Women's Law Center gives great advice and information.

Washington State Courts

NW Women's Law Center

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,377 answers this week

3,068 attorneys answering