Criminal Defendant's Right to a Public Trial

Posted about 5 years ago. Applies to Florida, 2 helpful votes



Plead Not Guilty

If you have been charged with a crime, your case will be scheduled for an arraignment. At the arraignment, you will be asked by the judge how do you plea. Your answer should be "Not Guilty." Your case will then be set for another court date.


Request a Jury Trial

At the court date after your arraignment (depending upon the county, the next court date may be called a pre-trial conference, disposition hearing or docket sounding), request that your case be set for a jury trial. If it is already scheduled for a jury trial, tell the judge to leave it on or request another date if your attorney requires more time to prepare your case.

Additional Resources

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,728 answers this week

3,003 attorneys answering