Copyright Registration - 3 Methods


Posted almost 6 years ago. 17 helpful votes



Online "eCO" Registration

The fastest and cheapest registration method for a basic claim for a single work (literary, visual arts, performing arts, including motion pictures and sound recordings), is Online Registration ((eCO). eCO benefits include a lower filing fee, fastest processing time, online status tracking, secure payment by credit or debit card, electronic check (or CO deposit account), and the ability to upload some categories of deposits directly into eCO as electronic files. To access eCO, go to, and on the page at the right under "How to Register a Work," click on "Electronic Copyright Office." Next, login. If you're a new user, register. Under Copyright Services, click on "Register a New Claim." Then click on "Start Registration." Select "Type of Work." Click "Next" to advance. Then add the title type from the drop down menu, and the name of the work. Click "Save." Click "Next." Indicate published status. Continue on through the menu.


Fill-In Form CO

The next best registration option is with a Fill-In Form CO. Using 2-d barcode scanning technology, the CO can process these forms much faster and more efficiently than paper forms completed manually. Simply: 1) complete Form CO on your personal computer 2) print it out, and 3) mail it along with a check or money order and your deposit. To access Form CO, go and click on "Forms." Don't save your filled-out Form CO and reuse it for another registration. The 2-d barcode it contains is unique for each work that you register.


Paper Forms

The slowest registration is by paper forms sent by U.S. mail. Paper versions of Form TX (literary works), Form VA (visual arts works), Form PA (performing arts works, including musical compositions and motion pictures), Form SR (sound recordings), and Form SE (single serials) are still available, but not at - the CO will send them to you by U.S. mail on request. Some applications must be done on paper and mailed to the CO with the appropriate fee and deposit. These include: Form RE renewals of existing copyrights, and Forms for group submissions, including Form GR/PPh/CON (published photographs); Form GR/CP (contributions to periodicals); Form SE/Group (serials); and Form G/DN (daily newspapers/newsletters. These forms are at (click on "Forms." However, if you're registering a TX, VA, SR, or SE work, you're best off using online registration through eCO and fill-in Form CO.

Additional Resources,

U.S. Copyright Office

Law Offices of Pamela Koslyn

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,736 answers this week

3,244 attorneys answering