CONSUMER ADVISORY 2. Deferred Action for Young Immigrants: Don’t Get Scammed!

Posted almost 3 years ago. 2 helpful votes


By Thomas Esparza, Immigration Specialist

On June 15, 2012, DHS announced that certain young people who entered the U.S.

before age 16 will no longer be removed from the United States. Qualifying individuals

will be granted “deferred action" and be eligible for a work permit.

Eligibility: In order to be eligible for deferred action, an individual must prove that he or


1) Was under 31 years old on June 15, 2012;

2) Came to the United States under the age of 16;

3) Has continuously resided in the United States for at least five years before June

15, 2012, and was physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012;

4) Is currently attending school, has graduated from high school, has obtained a

G.E.D. certificate, or is an honorably discharged veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces

or Coast Guard;

5) Has not been convicted of a felony offense, significant misdemeanor offense,

multiple misdemeanor offenses, nor otherwise poses a threat to the community or

national security.

Requests for deferred action will be reviewed on a case by case basis, and not every

young immigrant will qualify.

Individuals who are found to be ineligible due to criminal history or because they represent a danger to the community may be subject to removal or other immigration enforcement action.

DHS considers many misdemeanor offenses to be “significant misdemeanors," including those for which the individual received no jail time. If you have ever been arrested by the police, talk to a qualified immigration attorney before applying for deferred action.

Additional Resources

Thomas Esparza, Jr. and Jacqueline L. Watson are Board Certified Specialists in Immigration and Nationality Law with their office in Austin, Texas. Thomas has 35 years experience and Jacqueline 12. They are available by appointment only. or Call 512-441-0062im

Rate this guide

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Family-based green card

Citizens and permanent residents may sponsor their relatives for permanent residence in the United States.

Danielle Nelisse

Green Card Marriage Interview

The immigration interview husbands and wives are required to attend in order to get the foreign spouse their green card (lawful permanent residence) through marriage can be very anxiety... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,391 answers this week

3,309 attorneys answering