Skip to main content

Connecticut Accelerated Rehabilitation (AR) Program

Posted by attorney Melissa Holmes

Accelerated Rehabilitation (AR) in Connecticut is a diversionary program that can be used if you have never been convicted of a crime. It can only be used if you are charged with certain crimes that are deemed not serious but that still carry a possible term of imprisonment. The program can only be used once. It cannot be used if you are charged with a family violence crime and are eligible for the Family Violence Education Program or have used the program before, or are charged with possession of narcotics or drug paraphernalia and are eligible for the Drug Education Program or have used the program before. When you apply for accelerated rehabilitation you must send a notice to the victim, if there is one, who is entitled to appear at the next court date and to advise the court whether or not they are opposed to the granting of accelerated rehabilitation. You will need to send the victim a notification form via certified mail and bring the proof of receipt to your next court date. There is a $35 fee to make an application for accelerated rehabilitation. At your next court date the court will review your case for eligibility and will grant or deny your entry into the program, based in part on whether or not you are determined to be likely to offend again in the future. If the court grants you entry into the accelerated rehabilitation program you will be charged a $100 program fee and your case will be continued for up to two years, during which time you will be under the supervision of the Court Support Services Division. The court can imposed specific conditions on your period of supervision that will depend on the nature of your charges. You may also be required to take part in a Hate Crimes program which carries an additional fee of $425. If the program is successfully completed the charges will be dismissed by the court.

Additional resources provided by the author

Author of this guide:

Was this guide helpful?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer