Claims for Spinal Cord Injuries - Personal Injury Cases

Posted over 2 years ago. Applies to Oregon, 3 helpful votes



Spinal Cord Injuries Can be Permanent

Damage to the spine can often be permanent - which, even in cases where there is not paralysis, means dramatic changes to your lifestyle, your employment, and your future medical treatments. You need to keep all of this in mind when deciding whether to file a claim against the person who caused your injury. First, remember that in most cases they will not have to pay anything - their insurance should cover your expenses. Second, do not let your permanent injury become a financial burden to your family later- make sure your attorney knows how to get compensation for future medical expenses and lost wages.


Signs of Spinal Cord Injury

Most spinal cord injuries are severe enough to be immediately apparent. But sometimes people who are afraid of medical bills do not seek timely treatment (which can hurt their case) and do not realize the extent of their injury. Here are some common signs of spinal cord injury: Difficulty breathing, loss of bowel control, pain, weakness, spasticity, numbness, abnormal sweating, etc. If you experience any of these symptoms, seek immediate medical care. Then you can get an xray or CT scan and start understanding your injuries. Remember, if there is permanent damage you should contact an attorney because it can be difficult to determine the exact amount of money to demand from the insurance company for future expenses without some expertise.

Additional Resources

More Information about Common Auto Accidents

Rate this guide

Related Topics

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Personal injury lawsuits

Personal injury lawsuits allow an injured person to seek compensation for the injury, either by court decision or through a settlement.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,015 answers this week

3,424 attorneys answering