Choosing a DWI Attorney

Posted about 5 years ago. 1 helpful vote



How Do I Choose the Right DWI Lawyer?

A. Very carefully. Choose a Board Certified Specialist. A glance at the Yellow Pages or the Web will quickly show you that every lawyer wants you to believe that he is a DWI specialist. Regardless of how convincing or sincere the ad may seem, he is not a DWI specialist. To legally be a specialist a lawyer must meet the rigid requirements of the American Bar Association. Edward L. Fiandach and Peter Gerstenzang are the only attorneys in New York to have met these requirements and be Board Certified as a DWI specialist by the ABA approved National College for DUI Defense Board Certification process. If you are convicted of DWI, not only may you go to jail, but at a minimum you will carry a criminal record for the rest of your life. If you ever change jobs, you will have to answer "yes" to the question, "have you ever been convicted of a crime." Your entire life will be impacted by who you choose. You need a Board Certified Specialist.


Check the Lawyer's National Rating!

DO ask about the lawyer's Martindale-HubbleTM rating! For over 100 years, this has been the exclusive standard for attorney rating. To check a lawyer's Martindale-HubbleTM rating, click this link, enter the lawyer's name, then click 'search.' Edward L. Fiandach is rated AV, which Martindale-HubbleTM describes as "the height of professional excellence." This is the highest rating any attorney can receive. This puts him in the top 5 percent of all American lawyers.

Additional Resources

For more helpful ideas, check out

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,434 answers this week

3,121 attorneys answering