Can I Switch From My Current Michigan Automobile Insurance, Even If I Am Making A Claim With Them?

Bret A. Schnitzer

Written by

Personal Injury Lawyer

Contributor Level 16

Posted over 1 year ago. 4 helpful votes



Can I switch my current automobile insurance to another one, even if I am making a claim with them?

The question that often comes up when clients are involved in an accident and have an ongoing Michigan No-Fault case or claim with their insurance company, is "can I get a new automobile Insurance carrier, even though I have an ongoing claim with my present carrier". The answer is "yes" you can switch carriers under these circumstances. Just be sure when you switch carriers you don't let your insurance lapse.


What if I switch insurance carriers and my policy lapses in Michigan?

This is something that you do not want to happen. Make sure that the new policy starts at the exact date and time that the current policy is terminated. To be careful about it get your new No-Fault Insurance Policy activated before you cancel your current policy. Remember, you do not have to switch from your current policy after making a claim with them, but you have the legal right to do this, and it will not effect your ongoing claim.

Additional Resources

Call us at or 313-389-2234

Auto Accident Injury Attorney

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,826 answers this week

2,752 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,826 answers this week

2,752 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary