Skip to main content

Birth Injury: Find Out Why Brain Injured Baby May Need Brain Cooling Treatment

Posted by attorney Gerald Oginski

NY Medical Malpractice & Personal Injury Trial Lawyer



A newborn baby who exhibits signs of brain injury may require a procedure known as brain cooling. Another medical term for this is hypothermic treatment.

This procedure involves decreasing the baby's core body temperature and also their brain temperature to approximately 92.5°. There have been studies showing that babies who undergo this brain cooling therapy tend to minimize the amount of brain damage they may have been exposed to at the time of labor and delivery.

Your doctors may have told you the baby suffers from a condition known as hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy. Those are fancy medical words which basically mean that there was a lack of oxygen, or decreased amount of oxygen as well as a decreased blood flow to the brain.

Parents who are told that their baby needs a brain cooling procedure often are not told why the baby experienced a decreased amount of oxygen to his brain during labor and delivery.

Watch the video to learn more...

Here's a cardiac malpractice case where I was able to achieve a $6 million dollar settlement for my client:

To learn more about how medical malpractice cases work in the state of New York, I encourage you to explore my educational website, ?

If you have legal questions, I invite you to pick up the phone and call me at 516-487-8207 or by email at This is what I do every day and I'd be happy to chat with you.

Law Office of Gerald Oginski

25 Great Neck Road, Ste. 4

Great Neck, NY 11021



Additional resources provided by the author

Author of this guide:

Was this guide helpful?

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer