A Guide to Child Support in Pennsylvania

Posted about 6 years ago. Applies to Pennsylvania, 8 helpful votes




Who is Liable for Child Support?

Both parents are responsible to contribute to the support of their minor children to the extent of their earning capacities and financial resources. Child support is a priority obligation, and a parent is expected to meet this obligation by adjusting his or her other expenses. A parent's duty to support his or her child continues until the child reaches eighteen years of age or graduates from high school, whichever occurs later. A parent may be required to support an adult child who is incapable of self-support due to a physical or mental disability. A parent is not required to contribute to a child's college education expenses unless he or she has contractually obligated himself or herself to do so.


How is Child Support Calculated?

Child support is generally determined by the support guidelines published by the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania. The support guidelines are revised periodically, at least every few years. The support guidelines contain a table to calculate the proper amount of child support, based upon the parents' net monthly income or earning capacity. If the parents' combined net monthly income exceeds the limits of the support guidelines (presently $20,000 per month), the amount of child support is determined by analyzing the child's reasonable needs. A spouse's net monthly income is equal to his or her gross monthly income from all sources, less federal, state and local income taxes, FICA taxes, union dues, mandatory retirement contributions, and alimony paid to the other spouse. Voluntary payroll deductions, such as charitable contributions, credit union deductions, savings bonds, and voluntary retirement contributions are not deducted from gross income.


How does Custody Affect Child Support?

The basic child support award may be reduced where the non-custodial parent exercises custody for more than 40% of the time. The percentage of time is determined by the number of overnights that each parent has custody. In addition to the basic child support award, the non-custodial parent must contribute his or her proportionate share of the child's health insurance premiums, unreimbursed medical, dental and optical expenses exceeding $250 per year per child, and child care expenses. Additionally, the non-custodial parent may be responsible for his or her share of private school tuition, summer camp expenses, tutoring, sports or arts lessons, or other special needs, if such expenses are reasonable in light of the parents' incomes and station in life. These obligations are added to the basic amount of child support.


How does Pennsylvania Enforce Child Support Orders?

Pennsylvania employs a state-wide computerized child support collection system, known as PACSES (Pennsylvania Automated Child Support Enforcement System). All child support orders are enforced by wage attachment unless the payor is self-employed or the recipient agrees to waive the wage attachment. If child support arrears exist, PACSES may take enforcement action, such as increasing the wage attachment, intercepting the payor's IRS refund, establishing a lien against the payor's property, or suspending the payor's drivers license, hunting or fishing license, or professional license.

Additional Resources

For more information, call Brian Vertz or go to www.familylawyerspittsburgh.com

Family Law Source - Brian Vertz's legal blog

Rate this guide

Related Topics

Child support and childcare expenses

As a working parent, you may wonder if childcare is included in child support. The answer will depend on your state's laws and/or your support agreement.

Avvo Staff

An Overview of Divorce Decree Modification

Going through a divorce can be a hectic time, and it is hard to ensure that every possible need is covered in the divorce decree. Fortunately, you can file to modify, or amend the decree.... more

Determining child support payments

State laws differ in how to determine child support, but usually consider factors like the child's needs (educational, medical, etc.) and both parents' incomes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,996 answers this week

3,866 attorneys answering