You have to wait to get your notice from usci or you can go with your working permit to ss office to get a ssc number

Asked 6 months ago - Linden, NJ

i got my working permit yesterday , one of my friend told me that when you get your working permit you can go to social security office to get your social security number , i dont know if its true or you have to wait a notice from USCI o go there

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your friend is correct. Go to the Social Security Office, fill out the form, meet with an official, and show the official your employment authorization card. You may need to wait 4 to 8 weeks until you get the Social Security card, but you may be able to call the Office to find out the number sooner. Make sure that you get some proof that you filed the application, if possible. At one time, it was easier to get the number sooner. If you live close to a major metropolitan city, then try to apply there, since the officials may be more experienced in what to do if they see the card.

    This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Employment Authorization Card

An Employment Authorization Document will allow you to work in the United States while your immigration application is pending.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,153 answers this week

3,043 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,153 answers this week

3,043 attorneys answering