Yesterday afternoon police officers entered our home claiming that someone had called them, we told them no calls were called

they went and 30 mins later the police department called and asked if anyone had called and we said no while on the phone with them another group of officers came this time claiming that someone had called them and given our address to come, they came in searched the whole house and left. Is this normal or is this something we should dig more into. My mother has a licensed day care by the house and the kids saw the police officers and so did their parents and it scared them.

Yes, the police enter your home wrongfully without a warrant. You can file a complaint or claim against them...BUT there seems to be no big damages or real harm that can be computed... However you should still file a complaint and claim so that you can protect and reserve your rights to sue in case you do have a case. (statute of limitation is 6 months from date of incident) Was it the act of police or county? Below are links to file claims against city and also county (which even is involved). AND also contact information.

The law regarding claims against public entities is complex. There is relatively short time deadlines. Statute of limitation is 6 months from date of incident to file claim. Hurry. You should seek the advice of an attorney.

Claims for money are made by submitting a claim form. Claim forms may be obtained from:
http://cityclerk.lacity.org/cps/pdf/claimsfordamages.pdf and
http://file.lacounty.gov/lasd/cms1_145305.pdf

Address: Office of the City Clerk
200 North Spring Street
Room 395, City Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Hours: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday
Phone: (213) 978-1133

OR

Board of Supervisors, County of Los Angeles
Room 383, Kenneth Hahn Hall of Administration
500 West Temple Street
Los Angeles, California 90012
Telephone Number: (213) 974-1440

If you wish to speak to a civil rights attorney, I believe consultations are free. It doesn't hurt to ask questions or consult an attorney for legal advice in person. Goodluck!!!

*Disclaimer: This response does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I. I am not your lawyer and I am not representing you in the underlying issue stated in your question. The response I have offered is not intended to be relied upon, you should seek out an attorney to assist in this matter. You may contact me directly at (415) 362-6765 ext.120; website: www.wc-advocateforjustice.com. (Attorney for Law Offices of William E. Weiss)

Wendy Ha Chau

Wendy Ha Chau

Correction: Yes, the police entered your home wrongfully, without a warrant. You can file a complaint or claim against them...BUT there seems to be no big damages or real harm that can be computed... However you should still file a complaint and claim so that you can protect and reserve your rights to sue in case you do have a case. (statute of limitation is 6 months from date of incident) Was it the act of police or county? Below are links to file claims against city and also county (which ever entity is involved) AND also contact information: The law regarding claims against public entities is complex. There is relatively short time deadlines. Statute of limitation is 6 months from date of incident to file claim. Hurry. You should seek the advice of an attorney. Claims for money are made by submitting a claim form. Claim forms may be obtained from: http://cityclerk.lacity.org/cps/pdf/claimsforda... and http://file.lacounty.gov/lasd/cms1_145305.pdf Address: Office of the City Clerk 200 North Spring Street Room 395, City Hall Los Angeles, CA 90012 Hours: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday Phone: (213) 978-1133 OR Board of Supervisors, County of Los Angeles Room 383, Kenneth Hahn Hall of Administration 500 West Temple Street Los Angeles, California 90012 Telephone Number: (213) 974-1440 If you wish to speak to a civil rights attorney, I believe consultations are free. It doesn't hurt to ask questions or consult an attorney for legal advice in person. Goodluck!!!

The police have definitely violate your rights. There should be probable cause for the police to search your home without a warrant. With the given facts, there was no probable cause. Consult a lawyer immediately to know how you can defend your rights. Good luck

If they did not have a warrant and there was no other valid exception to the warrant requirement available, then the police have probably violated your rights.
While that is probably true, it is also probably true that you have not suffered much in the way of damages.
Either way, contact a local civil rights attorney.

Civil rights topics