Yesterday afternoon police officers entered our home claiming that someone had called them, we told them no calls were called

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

they went and 30 mins later the police department called and asked if anyone had called and we said no while on the phone with them another group of officers came this time claiming that someone had called them and given our address to come, they came in searched the whole house and left. Is this normal or is this something we should dig more into. My mother has a licensed day care by the house and the kids saw the police officers and so did their parents and it scared them.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Wendy Ha Chau

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, the police enter your home wrongfully without a warrant. You can file a complaint or claim against them...BUT there seems to be no big damages or real harm that can be computed... However you should still file a complaint and claim so that you can protect and reserve your rights to sue in case you do have a case. (statute of limitation is 6 months from date of incident) Was it the act of police or county? Below are links to file claims against city and also county (which even is involved). AND also contact information.

    The law regarding claims against public entities is complex. There is relatively short time deadlines. Statute of limitation is 6 months from date of incident to file claim. Hurry. You should seek the advice of an attorney.

    Claims for money are made by submitting a claim form. Claim forms may be obtained from: and

    Address: Office of the City Clerk
    200 North Spring Street
    Room 395, City Hall
    Los Angeles, CA 90012
    Hours: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday
    Phone: (213) 978-1133


    Board of Supervisors, County of Los Angeles
    Room 383, Kenneth Hahn Hall of Administration
    500 West Temple Street
    Los Angeles, California 90012
    Telephone Number: (213) 974-1440

    If you wish to speak to a civil rights attorney, I believe consultations are free. It doesn't hurt to ask questions or consult an attorney for legal advice in person. Goodluck!!!

    *Disclaimer: This response does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I. I am not your lawyer... more
  2. Peter Cameron

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The police have definitely violate your rights. There should be probable cause for the police to search your home without a warrant. With the given facts, there was no probable cause. Consult a lawyer immediately to know how you can defend your rights. Good luck

  3. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . If they did not have a warrant and there was no other valid exception to the warrant requirement available, then the police have probably violated your rights.
    While that is probably true, it is also probably true that you have not suffered much in the way of damages.
    Either way, contact a local civil rights attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,058 answers this week

3,149 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,058 answers this week

3,149 attorneys answering