Yes i under stand it is such a young age if your going to be judgemental in this dont respond i am looking for legal advise

Minneapolis, MN |

are daughter is pregnant yes i understand that it is wrong but what is done is done sorry about that but she isnt the only teenager getting pregnant what she wants to know is there any rights she has to the baby against the county said it is going to seek dna testing the county i know the contitstion probits warrants unless there is probale cause i dont want people making assumptions i just want my daughter protected is and Maury please dont respond since your mind is already made up the county only is assuming they have questioned her and she told them it is not a family members and its not another adults

1. I am assuming the authorities want DNA to decide whether there could be any criminal charges brought against the father. Is that your concern? You do not really ask a question

2. This seems to be an ongoing legal question. You cannot get good legal advice for your specific questions by simply posting on Avvo. You need to speak to an attorney directly and have them review your case.

For a free consultation, call 612-217-0077. This information is general in nature. You should not rely on this information as legal advice, as each case is unique. This information does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are in need of legal advice concerning a particular matter, you are encouraged to contact us at your earliest convenience.

3. You need to tell us what "county" agency is trying to force the DNA test.

I appreciate your endorsements! If you "agree," or found this response "helpful," please mark it as so. The Law Offices of Sara M. G. Rojas offers free consultations by phone or in person. To schedule one today call 612-206-3722 or email me at srojas@rojaslegal.com. Disclaimer: Nothing in this response constitutes legal advice or creates an attorney-client relationship. You should always consult with a local attorney regarding your specific legal circumstances. Answers posted on Avvo are intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation about your specific legal issues, with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. You should not rely solely upon this website, or other resources which may be linked to an answer in addressing your legal issues. Questions and answers, or other postings to the Avvo site, are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo Terms of Use are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of Minnesota and the U.S. District of Minnesota. Any general information I provide about non-Minnesota laws should be verified with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

4. My understanding of the facts is this. There is 12 year old that is pregnant. The 12 year old does not wish to have herself or the currently unborn child tested to determine paternity. The parents support the 12 year old daughter's decision and are seeking to block that testing. now and when the child is ultimately born.

Your question is whether the State may compel that testing over the standing objection of the 12 year old and her parents, the argument being that it is an unreasonable search and seizure in violation of constitutional protections.. One position is that such a test is a "fishing expedition" since there is nothing that indicates who was the purported father.

Is that correct?

If so, I believe the State may be able to compel the testing under the child protection statute. MN Stat 626.556 indicates that the public policy of the statute is "to protect children whose health or welfare may be jeopardized through physical abuse, neglect, or sexual abuse. While it is recognized that most parents want to keep their children safe, sometimes circumstances or conditions interfere with their ability to do so. When this occurs, families are best served by interventions that engage their protective capacities and address immediate safety concerns and ongoing risks of child maltreatment."

The Statute includes as neglect -the commission or omission of any of the acts specified under specified clauses (1) to (9), other than by accidental means, which include lack of supervision or due care.

My hunch is that the State will use the 12 year olds pregnancy to make a case for a lack of supervision and care compounded by the parent's unwillingness to cooperate in the investigation and/or testing to determine if maltreatment occurred. I think they would likely convince a Judge to compel testing as part of the CHPS case.

This is, of course, assuming there is no other evidence or indicia that a criminal act has occurred. there will no doubt be an ongoing investigation in that regard where witnesses, including friends of the child, will be questioned.

Ultimately, a full review of all of the facts and evidence presently available would be necessary for any real analysis.

CALL 612-240-8005 for a Consultation. Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter. Visit online at http://www.minnesotaLawyers.com

5. Hello. This is a repeat post. This website does not provide legal advice, just general information and general principles of law. Please seek private legal counsel for your needs. Also, you ought not post any details whatsoever of this matter on a public website. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq.
    Phone: 612-296-9666

Twin Cities - Minnesota licensed attorney, Tricia Dwyer, Esq.: Phone 612-296-9666. FAMILY Law, Rule 114 Qualified Neutral, Minnesota Supreme Court Roster Mediator, Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC, Phone: 612.296-9666 - EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR until 8 p.m. daily. See www.dwyerlawfirm.net

6. I am not responding to any criminal issues that may be involved. Several laws are involved in this matter for a paternity standpoint. Under Minn. Stat. 257.62, if there is a court order, or a request from the mother, child or alleged father, the “County” can require a blood test from the alleged father. This, and similar laws around the country have been challenged as violating the U.S. Constitution. In Minnesota this was ruled on by the Minnesota Supreme Court in the case State on the behalf of Kremin vs. Graham, 318 N.W.2d 853 (Minn. 1982). The Court said the State’s interest in knowing who the father is, is more important that the individual’s right to privacy. Often, the “County’s” motivation for this testing isn’t criminal, it’s to know who they need to go after for child support if the mother or child are receiving financial assistance or medical assistance from the “County.” This is a general answer not specified to a hypothetical question about the State’s ability to require genetic testing. I am not your attorney and am not offering you legal advice. You should immediately call an attorney who can give you advice based on your situation.

Child custody topics