WV real estate law, what is a partition suit

Peterstown, WV |

what is a Partition Suit?

Thanks for using Avvo. I am an Avvo Staff Moderator. To read more about our moderation team, follow the link below. Because Avvo does not yet have a lawyer directory in your state, you may not receive a lawyer response. My goal is to give you some preliminary information and guidance regarding your legal situation while you wait for an attorney in your area to respond.

A suit for partition is brought when two or more owners of an interest in real property want to force a sale of all or some portion of it and divide the proceeds. It usually occurs when a disagreement has arisen between co-owners and one is refusing to sell. It can take the form of a buy-out of the whole of the interest, so that the party or parties retaining ownership compensate the other(s) for their shares, or the property can be flat out sold and the proceeds distributed. See the link to the relevant law.

Recommended articles about Real estate