Wrongly diagnosed with miscarriage with little evidence and no confirmation with an ultrasound.

Asked over 1 year ago - Ruston, LA

At 7w1d pregnant, I woke up with a terrible feeling and all of the pregnancy symptoms gone. I went to the local Emergency Room department for an analysis. After a positive urine test, a closed cervix, and no sign of bleeding, the doctor decided to do blood work. He returned an hour later saying my HCG levels were less than one and that I had lost the baby. I was extremely distraught and hysterical. I spent to remainder of the weekend extremely ill. It got to the point where I had to page my doctor who said my symptoms sounded like food poisoning. On Monday, we went to my OB to discuss our options on the miscarriage only to discover a healthy baby. I have so much anger towards the ER doctor for not confirming his diagnosis with an ultrasound. Do I have any legal grounds to seek damages?

1. David Brian Snyder

Pro

5

Answered . In my opinion, your situation, while terrible, is not likely enough to pursue a malpractice case. Reasonable minds could differ about this, but I think the damages are somewhat limited. Certainly the doc should have handled the situation better than how he handled it. You can file a complaint with the state agency if you feel so inclined and contact attorneys in your jurisdiction to see if they believe that you have a case. I am glad that your baby is healthy and I hope the rest of your pregnancy is uneventful.

David B. Snyder, Esq.
    6876 Buckley Road
    Syracuse, NY 13212
    315-451-3040
    https://snyderlf.com/SyracuseMedical_Malpractic...
    Mr. Snyder is licensed to practice in New York and practices Medical Malpractice Plaintiff’s work in Syracuse; he cannot offer legal advice in other states. This answer is meant to be a public service and not an attempt to solicit business. Moreover, my answer cannot be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. Unless I am retained in a matter and have completed a full investigation of the underlying facts and law, I cannot give an opinion on which to rely. Furthermore, unless your matter concerns New York law, I am not licensed to practice or give specific legal advice in your state.

2. Elizabeth Taylor Herd

Pro

5

Answered . Thank goodness you followed up. However, you have a very positive baby to focus n now. Although you suffered emotional damages, given the expense of hiring independent medical experts yu wold likely spend more than you could recover. Congratulations on your good news.

3. Heather A Lottmann

4

Answered . Although there may be negligence here, the cost of pursuing such an action would likely eat up any recovery you could make, potentially even more. I am sorry to hear about the emotional roller coaster you experienced and happy to hear it ended well. Good luck.

Pro

3

Answered . Congrats on your healthy baby. A lawsuit would likely cost more than would be recovered, but you can call one of the above lawyers to explain it to you in detail.