Wrongfully Arrested

Asked about 1 year ago - Memphis, TN

I was charged with theift of property between $1000 - $10,000 because someone left some phones in a bag behind my apartment building. I went and looked in the bag when the police rolled up. I have an attorney but I want to know what my course of action should be?

1. Thomas Travis Overton

Pro

2

Answered . Hopefully you have hired an experienced criminal defense attorney. Your course of action should be to let your attorney plan a course of action and you do what he or she tells you. That is what your paying him or her for. If your not guilty, then of course you would want the case dismissed.In my opinion, its going to be hard for the prosecutor to believe you have no involvement with the bag when its in your possession when the police show up.Definitely need a believable explanation as to why the bag was in your possession.Good Luck!

2. Stephen Alan Sauer

2

Answered . If you have hired an attorney you trust then you should trust that attorney and not try to second guess him/her on this website. There is no way an attorney could answer your questions properly in this public website without knowing a great deal more information. That information will eventually be provided to your attorney as discovery. I also suggest that you not post specific facts about your case in this public website as anything said in here could potentially be used against you in court. Prosecutors have been known to research sites like this and Facebook for information.

3. John Michael Boucher Jr.

Answered . Your course of action should be to listen to your attorney and quit second guessing him, or fire him and pay another attorney. The minute I found out a client was asking for advice from another attorney, I would withdraw from the case, and you would be out of any fee you paid. More than likely, your current attorney is a "member" of AVVO, and he will probably see this question. You are probably the only case in Memphis involving a bag of phones behind an apartment building and you coincidentally looking inside the bag the minute the Po Po rolls up. You should apologize to your attorney for second guessing him/her and pay them more money because you did.