Wrongful termination Washington state

Puyallup, WA |

I know Washington is a at will state. Is an employer required to give disciplinary action forms before they are terminated for a specific action? I was recently fired from my job for failure to meet standards. Prior to dismissal, I was never talked to about the specific reason they terminated me, and was never written up for it. I was employed by the company for only 5 months, but actually worked in my position for only 2 1/2 months. I received no performance reviews, and after constantly asking for help, never received any. I was a retail manager, one of my District managers responsibilities was to track my work progress, I did not even see him for the first six weeks I was in my position. I feel I was wrongfully terminated.

No an employer is not required to give disciplinary action forms before termination.

As an at-will employee, you can quit at any time for any reason, you can be fired for any reason, a rotten reason, or no reason, except unlawful discrimination. If you do not have an employment contract or union to represent you, your recourse is limited. Discrimination based on age, gender, race, religious beliefs etc.... may give rise to a different answer.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "Workplace Discrimination: A Basis for Wrongful Termination Claims"

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose a Lawyer for you.”

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "What Do I Tell My Lawyer"?

No one can know what the record is in the case because online we cannot find out any details. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

If you have a discrimination theory about retaliatory discharge or hostile workplace conditions you'll need a lawyer. Religious belief, age, gender, race etc. all are discriminatory reasons for which you cannot be legally fired and upon which you might base a wrongful termination suit.

Good luck to you.

God bless. Best of luck to you.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the Thumbs-Up tab at the bottom. You may mark this as a Best Answer for the time I spent crafting this and thinking about your matter.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. This observation is not like a communication with a lawyer with whom you have an attorney-client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides.

Recommended articles about Employment