Wrongful Termination from Community College Job

Asked over 1 year ago - Artesia, CA

I was wondering if I had a case against my Community College for wrongful termination. I was terminated on Monday May 6th, 2013. I believe I was wrongfully terminated since they did not follow the necessary procedures. I was working for the Disabled Students Programs & Services Department for about a year. They would be the ones to file all the proper paperwork in order for me to be terminated right? The ones who terminated me were the campus police and an employer cannot fire you for any reason until proven guilty by law right? I'm going through an issue aside from this which is being taken care of through the necessary procedures. Do I have a case against the college for wrongful termination? I have not received any charges for anything. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

8

1

Best Answer

Answered . You asked: an employer cannot fire you for any reason until proven guilty by law right?" " Wrong. Employees and job applicants have very few employment rights, and employers have a lot of leeway in how they choose to run their businesses. In general, an employer can be unfair, obnoxious or bad at management. And an employer can make decisions based on faulty or inaccurate information. An employer has no obligation to warn an employee that he or she is not performing as the employer wants. It’s not a level playing field. An employer hires employees to provide work for its benefit, not for the benefit of the employees. Don't expect the employer to take care of its employees; it doesn’t have to and it rarely does.

There are some limitations on what an employer can do, mostly in the areas of public policy (such as discrimination law or whistle blowing), contract law, union-employer labor relations, and constitutional due process for government employees. Please see my guide to at-will employment in California which should help you understand employment rights: http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/an-overvie.... After you take a look at the guide, you may be able to identify actions or behavior that fits one of the categories that allows for legal action. If so, an experienced plaintiffs employment attorney may be helpful.

Note that public employers cannot be sued for wrongful termination in violation of public policy, but there may be other legal claims you can pursue. I refer you again to my link above.

However, because you work for a public employer you have due process rights. You must be provided with notice of the proposed discipline or termination and must be given an opportunity to respond. If the decision is upheld, you will have the opportunity to request a hearing before a decision maker who is not employed by your employer. All that said, the process is extremely weighted on the side of the employer. You may be able to file suit in court if you lose the hearing. But by now, we are talking about a multi-year process from the day of the termination to the day the jury decides the case.

Employment rights come from the state and federal legislatures. One of the best things people can do to improve their employment rights is vote for candidates with a good record on pro-employee, anti-corporate legislation. Another way to protect employment rights is to form or affiliate with a union, or participate in a union already in place.

I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best.

2. Jonathan Jacob Delshad

5

1

Answered . Short answer is that you have no right to your job. You have the right not to be terminated for certain "protected" reasons, but other than that, you can be fired for any reasons or for no reason. If you were discriminated against because of the race, religious creed, color,
    national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability,
    medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender,
    gender identity, gender expression, age, or sexual orientation, then you may have a claim.
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?s...

The other broad category for wrongful termination is retaliation. Retaliation occurs when you engage in a "protected activity" and you are subsequently retaliated against for doing so. You will need to speak to an attorney to find out if you engaged in protected activity.

3. Paul Y. Lee

5

Answered . California, like most states, is an "at will" employment state. An employer can terminate an employee for any reason, for an unfair reason, or for no reason. However, there are exceptions. An employee may not be discharged for discriminatory reasons, such as race, gender, age, national origin, religion or sexual orientation. An employee also may not be discharged in retaliation for refusing to comply with an illegal directive of the employer, or for engaging in certain other protected activities, or if the employment contract or collective bargaining agreement provides that the employee can only be discharged for cause. The reason for your termination appears unrelated to any of these protected categories, and hence your employer likely was within his right to terminate you. You may want to speak to an employee rights lawyer to further discuss your situation.

4. Kenneth Lewis Swenson

Answered . I generally agree with the prior answers to your question. I want to add that an important exception to at-will employment exists where the employee is a permanent civil servant, meaning the employee accepted a civil service appointment to a permanent position and successfully completed probation. Under California law, a permanent civil service employee enjoys a property interest in continued employment which a government employer may not deprive the employee of without due process of law. Due process generally requires notice of the charges and an opportunity to be heard before termination. You should immediately consult with a labor and employment attorney with experience handling public employment cases to discuss the particulars of your case and for specific legal advice.

5. Christine C McCall

Pro

Answered . The crux of your situation is here: "I was working for the Disabled Students Programs & Services Department for about a year." There is no "about" in these circumstances. If you worked a year and a day, you would ordinarily have become a permanent employee -- automatically upon the passage of that time limit in most but not all jurisdictions -- with civil service or civil service-type protections the day after your 1st anniversary.

If your "about a year" fell just days short of that anniversary, that was very likely be design. Public employers routinely terminate the employees that they may not wish to keep on as permanent just days before the one-year probation term would complete and civil service protection attaches.

If you were not a permanent employee with public-sector civil service (or similar contractual) protections, then you have no enforceable rights as to who fills out your termination paperwork, nor who makes the decision to terminate. You have the right to a very limited "hearing" (more like a meeting) if you are discharged for a reason that puts your character or integrity at issue, but public employers almost always dodge that requirement by making the probationary termination without specification of such grounds. If you were terminated before civil service protections applied, you have no right to any statement of "charges" from your employer.

Even after civil service protections kick in, you have no right to be found "guilty" before a termination. Employees can be lawfully fired for lots of reasons that do not cause criminal prosecution much less criminal conviction.

If you were a probationary employee, i.e., did not complete a full year of employment, you may have little to pin any hopes on. If you were a permanent employee with civil service protections, you may have a very sound case for challenging your termination. In that event, act quickly to talk with your union rep and file your appeal. Time limits are statutory (mandatory, self-effecting) and very short.

Good luck to you.