Wrongful Termination

Tampa, FL |

I was fired from my job of eleven years no issues what so ever I was accused of stealing time from my job because I put in time adjustments in for each time I was stop to help customers when leaving for the day. I follow policy and by making sure I was not working off the clock and get paid for my time. Not only did they rush to fired me they went back a month to look at my adjustments which is against company policy also I believe there's more reason I was fired one is I'm in school and I changed my availability to focus on school to better myself and I told my store manager that I wanted to step down from being a supervisor. does this look like a normal firing or not.

I'M 29years old/ African-American, I believe a bit of race maybe a factor in the decision of firing because there a counterpart a supervisor white and he goes to school as well and they had no problem with being flexible with his availability. I was constantly had a sense they wanted me to fail and find away for me to either quit or be fired, they wrote me up on the attendant saying I miss too many days which I requested off they would unapproved those days and I had to call in to attend to family business. there been many cases of Inconsistent follow through of company policies and procedures I seen for myself.

These are the theories of a case.

The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) protects employees forty years of age or older against discriminatory firing based on age.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) protects the qualified employee from wrongful workplace termination. An employee that has a physical or medical impairment is protected under the ADA.

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act prohibits discrimination and wrongful termination based on gender, pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions.

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act prohibits discriminatory firing at the workplace because of an employee's religion, ancestry, or accent.

The Civil Rights Act, Title VII, prohibits workplace discrimination and wrongful termination based on race, perceived race, or marriage to someone of a particular race.

Florida employment law permits an employer to terminate non-written contract employees at will for any reason other than one that is Constitutionally protected. You will need real proof of discrimination to prevail there. you have not shown any so far.

You have every right - and the responsibility- to record your time accurately. You are entitled to compensation for all hours worked and the employer cannot retaliate against you for exercising your rights under the FLSA to pay for time worked. With that said, you may have a claim for unpaid wages for work you performed if the employer did not pay for the time you are describing as actual time worked. Did the adjustments also push you into an overtime situation (40 or more hours worked in a workweek?) and the timing may support a relation claim. You may wish to seek counsel on potential FLSA claims.

Mitchell Lloyd Feldman

Mitchell Lloyd Feldman

THese facts are inconsistent. If you are adding in time to help people, then your employer may have concerns for you altering the time records to your benefit. If you are not being paid for all hours worked, then this is something to consult a lawyer over, especially if this occurs routinely and to other employees.

Recommended articles about Employment