Wrongful death suit against the driver in malibu

Asked over 1 year ago - Malibu, CA

my cousin was driving. i was the passenger suspect ran stop sign and t boned my cousin killing him and i have emotional problem (fear of driving, depression, nightmares etc)

cousin was 18 just graduated highschool no dependants children or spuse. do i have any case against the driver.

on what grounds a claim is given for wrongful death, suspect insurance is 1 million. my cousin insurance u/i 500k. what are the order of steps and how long it takes.

Attorney answers (19)

  1. 15

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Get a lawyer as soon as possible.

  2. 14

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Tragic!
    Don't delay further - local and qualified personal injury litigation attorney for you and wrongful death litigation attorney for your cousin's family. Serious matters deserve to be treated seriously; by professionals. Good luck.

    Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and... more
  3. 12

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am very sorry for your loss. You have your own claim against the driver for your injuries, any physical injuries and also for mental injuries/suffering from the incident. Your cousin's family (parents) also have a wrongful death claim against the driver. You should speak to some personal injury/wrongful death lawyers immediately to preserve your rights. Most personal injury lawyers would handle this case on a contingency basis (a percentage basis) where you only pay lawyers fees when a settlement or verdict is reached, so you wouldn't have to pay out of pocket to hire a lawyer. Many lawyers offer free consultations and you should speak with some regarding your case.

    Feel free to contact my office for a free consultation at 1-888-476-0901
  4. 11

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You may have a direct claim for witnessing this horrible event - what is called a "bystander emotional distress" claim, but the primary claim would be by your aunt and uncle. If possible, work with your aunt and uncle to retain counsel together.

  5. 10

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am sorry for your loss and your suffering. You have rights. Contact a lawyer immediately.

    This is a legal disclaimer that my advice here are for general purposes only and does not create an attorney-... more
  6. 10

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am so sorry for your loss. You're going to want to hire a local attorney immediately. Look at a wide variety of law firms. Don't necessarily base your choice off of this website. Shop around and find a lawyer who is right for you and will work for you. Best of luck.

    Cliff Horwitz

  7. 8

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am sorry to hear about this tragic accident. As the other attorneys have stated, you should contact a lawyer immediately for your physical and emotional injury claim. Your cousin's parents should also seek counsel for the wrongful death claim. You should look on Avvo for a local qualified personal injury attorney who is member of CAALA (Consumer Attorney Association of Los Angeles) and who has handled these types of cases before.

    Lederer & Nojima, LLP
    12100 Wilshire Blvd. #480
    LA CA 90025

    (310) 312-1860

  8. 8

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . To answer your question, the grounds for the wrongful death claim is that the at-fault driver was negligent when operating his vehicle and caused the head-on collision. You absolutely can sue for this, and I cannot stress enough how important it is that you discuss your case with a lawyer right away. With a personal injury lawyer by your side, you stand to earn significantly more from a settlement and can properly take your case to trial if necessary.

    The information provided here is for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on... more
  9. 9

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am sorry for your tragic loss. Hire an local personal injury attorney as soon as possible.

  10. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You obviously have a claim you can bring for your own injuries. However your claim regarding your cousin consists of four elements 1) Someone negligently caused the death of someone. 2) That you were at the scene of the accident and actually was aware of the injury. 3) That you suffered severe emotional distress because of the incident. 4) That the conduct of the other driver was a substantial in causing your emotional distress. I just settled a wrongful death case this week, but your case is not wrongful death but rather negligent infliction of emotional distress brought by a bystander.

  11. 8

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Watch this video to learn the step by step process of what an attorney should do in a situation like this (you do need an attorney ASAP):


  12. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Sorry to hear about what you have been experiencing. You have a case against the defendant driver. It will be for your own damages, and not based on wrongful death (these legal technical issues can be explored and explained further through the attorney you hire to represent you. Get one right away. Do not delay another minute. The cousin's insurance will not come into play, unless the cousin was partially at fault, but it doesn't sound that way. We would be happy to answer any further questions you may have. Finalizing the case can take from months to years, depending on your emotional and physical status and treatment, as well as the progress available in the courts and with the defendant insurance company.

  13. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Sorry for your loss. You have a direct claim you can bring. You do not have to worry about bringing a bystander claim - you were in the car and suffered your own physical and emotional injuries. You should hire a local lawyer to represent you for your injuries and damages.

    Most of us will offer a free consultation so you need not worry about calling to find the lawyer you feel comfortable hiring.

  14. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The driver AND the passenger in a car that is an accident through no fault of said driver may both have a claim for any injuries suffered (the family of such a driver who dies may have a claim for wrongful death). In an accident serious enough to cause driver fatality, it is all but a given that there was enough impact to cause substantial physical harm to any passengers... thus, adding emotional trauma damages to the passengers claim might be adding to an already substantial recovery. Should one find oneself a victim of such a horrific crash, one should immediately get medical attention and then legal attention.

    Fortunately, many of us personal injury attorney types offer free consultations and take cases on contingency. Thus, there is nothing to fear when calling.

    - Paul

    Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
    Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker
    Fransen & Molinaro, LLP
    4160 Temescal Canyon Road, Suite 306
    Corona, CA 92833
    www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com

    "When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW."

    * This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.
    ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law and does so anywhere in the State of California.

    Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D. ... Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker... Fransen & Molinaro, LLP... 980 Montecito... more
  15. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The family should retain a wrongful death lawyer.

  16. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You will need to discuss your compensation with a personal injury lawyer that is tough, aggressive and one that would advocate your rights immediately. No longer hesitate. Contact our office immediately for a free consultation. You are in our prayers. Good luck.

    ATTORNEY DISCLAIMER TO THE ABOVE ANSWER: The information that I have provided to you is for general information... more
  17. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I fully agree with everyone here that says you need to get an attorney as soon as possible. There are insurance issues, issues of whether the defendant has additional coverage and possible other assets. It is critical that your and your cousin's case is investigated immediately. You should probably talk to a firm like Greene Broillet & Wheeler. I have no business affiliation with that firm.

  18. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . So sorry to hear about your loss. You should contact an attorney who specializes in personal injury and wrongful death cases. Both you and the parents of your cousin have claims against the at-fault driver who caused this crash.

  19. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I join my colleagues by encouraging you to obtain an attorney immediately.
    Very sorry for your loss and accident.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more
One or more answers have been taken down.

Related Topics

Wrongful death and personal injuries

Wrongful death lawsuits can be filed if someone’s death is thought to be the fault of another person or business, either intentionally or because of negligence.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,592 answers this week

3,774 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,592 answers this week

3,774 attorneys answering