Skip to main content

Wrong date on divorce paper

Paterson, NJ |
Filed under: Divorce Divorce court

My husband and I are getting a divorce. but while I was going through the papers, i noticed our date of marriage was wrong once on one paper. Every other after that is correct. since he's the one that have started this whole thing, Will he have to file a notice of errata or would it matter? can I file for it if it does matter? It'll be much easier if I did it.

Attorney Answers 4


If it's in the judgment, I'd submit an amended judgment and correct it. Otherwise, it won't matter much. If it's in the complaint and you personally appear for the final hearing, the judge will permit you to amend the date on the record. This isn't an unusual occurrence.

No such thing as a "notice of errata" in New Jersey. If there was no consent to fixing the error, you'd file a notice of motion.

IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER AND APPRECIATE THE TIME IT TOOK TO WRITE IT, PLEASE SELECT IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Thanks. The above is said without seeing your case file and without my understanding the entirety of the facts of your case. Depending on those facts, the above information be may incomplete or may be completely inaccurate. The above is intended as general information only based on what you described and not as legal advice. I advise you to consult with counsel who may be able to provide better information commensurate with a better understanding of your situation.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I agree that it usually doesn't matter, especially where other papers have the correct date. I've seen filed divorce documents with more egregious errors. Sometimes they get fixed and sometimes they don't. What matters most is that your settlement agreements and final judgment are perfect. Good luck.

The information posted by the Law Office of Jordan A. Stern on Avvo is not legal advice. Consult an attorney for advice regarding your situation. We invite you to contact us via phone, mail, fax and email. Contacting us or sending us information does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until we establish an attorney-client relationship. If you send us information before we establish an attorney-client relationship, that information is not confidential. The Law Office of Jordan A. Stern limits its practice to the State of New Jersey. Office hours by appointment. We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code. Our services related to credit defaults, mortgage foreclosures, eviction proceedings, excessive debt, debt collection pressure, or inability to pay any consumer debt may involve bankruptcy relief under Title 11 of the United States Code. Thanks. © 2011 Law Office of Jordan A. Stern LLC · All Rights Reserved.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I agree with the answer provide by David Perry Davis.

The Answer provided was based on the limited information provided, and represents information based on the law in general, not a legal opinion that can be relied upon. Before a formal legal opinion can be offered I would need an opportunity to review all possible relevant facts and circumstances. You cannot rely on the advice of an attorney given over the internet. The exact facts of your sitaution, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the opinion that is being offered. Please be aware that the above comments are neither protected by attorney-client privilege, nor may the same be the basis for a malpractice lawsuit.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


As long as the final judgement of divorce has the correct date, you are ok.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics