Wrong billing codes used by hospital

Akron, OH |

I had a pap smear done at a doctor's office and had insurance at the time of service. My insurance company told me that wrong codes were used for the claim and the doctor's office has to re-submit it using the right code in order for the claim to be processed and paid for. They said under the Affordable Care Act, pap smears are free of charge, no matter what kind of policy I have. I have been trying to contact the doctor's office about it for a year now, and they have turned me over to a collection agency in the meantime. What are my options?

1. That is an unfortunate situation. I suggest you call and speak to someone in their billing department or go in directly to discuss the situation with them. Do not wait for them to call you back. If your insurance company is willing to take a resubmission, they should handle that for you, or give you the appropriate information so that you can do it yourself. Options beyond that depend on how much time and effort you want to put in to dealing with it. Do a cost-benefit analysis.

2. Tara provided great guidance. Go in person and discuss with billing/accounting. They should handle the resub or basically do it for you and let you actually send it. Best of luck

Statements posted on the Avvo Q&A section are not legal advice. No prudent person anywhere at any time should ever rely upon any statements posted on the Avvo Q&A section. There is no attorney-client privilege based on this interaction. I am not your attorney and there is no attorney-client privilege up until the moment that we have a signed engagement letter with a clear understanding regarding fees - at which point we will not be discussing your legal issue online on a public Q&A board that anyone in the world can view. You should find an attorney that can best represent your interests: using the Avvo lawyer search is one of many possible utilities online to collect names of lawyers you might be interested in meeting with offline to discuss your legal issue in full detail so the legal advice can be tailored to the specific facts of your legal issue.

3. I agree with the previous answers. The only thing I would add is that it might be beneficial to follow up any and all phone calls with a letter documenting your position in the dispute. Keep a copy of any letter(s) that you mail in case the matter ends up in court.

If something isn't in writing -- it probably won't be helpful if the dispute turns into a lawsuit.

4. Contact your insurer directly and file a grievance. And let them know you will file a complaint with the Department of Managed Health care if they do not resolve the problem promptly.