Skip to main content

Writing a sentence reduction letter for a inmate in a California State Prison.

Paramount, CA |

my husband was sentence to 23years in prison back in 2007 has 10 1/2years in credit time & serve time is there anyway to do a letter for sentence reduction?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your husband's sentence will not be reduced. He could get released if he is so ill that he poses not threat to the community. That is a billion to one long shot. The way it works is once he is sentenced the credits are dictated by California law. If he was sentenced for a violent felony then he will have to do 85% of his time before he can be released. If he was sentenced to any other crime other than violent felonies, then he will do 50% of his time.

The above information does not establish an attorney client relationship nor is it meant to provide legal advice.



he was convicted for a none violent crime.


An attorney can make applications. Contact a post-conviction relief specialist.

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


Mr. Bogan is absolutely correct.
You do not say how he was convicted. If by plea. There are no options. If by jury/trial, probably no options either. Appeal must be filed in 60 days. There are also time limits to requesting a review in the California Supreme Court if he lost that appeal. There ar also time limits to filing a federal habeas corpus petition.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer