Would you recommend a client to take Accelerated Rehabilitation even if they were truly innocent of the charges? Why or why not?

Milford, CT |

I am just trying to see different lawyers opinions on a situation like this where the client does not have a lot of money for a trial.

1. Your question is too vague to be fully answered. Does the client need rehab?

Call 615-736-9596 for consultation. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. This answer is for information only. Call me or another attorney to represent you.

2. It depends upon a multitude of factors. For example, what are the charges and what are the potential penalties if convicted? Keep in mind that actually innocent people are convicted based upon the interpretation of the evidence by juries all the time. It ultimately comes down to a risk/benefit analysis. Do you want to take advantage of a pretrial diversionary program that requires no admission of guilt to dispose of a criminal case as expediently as possible. Or do you want to "roll the dice" and hope that a jury is equally convinced that the state has not proven their case beyond a reasonable doubt. And, if funds are an issue, do you really want to defend at trial, on a shoestring budget, charges which could result in incarceration?

3. I'll add one more consideration - if a client chooses to take the case to trial and is convicted, accelerated rehabilitation is no longer available.

I also agree with Atty Thygerson. AR can be considered a "guaranteed win" so long as the client fully completes all conditions ordered by the court. Does the client want to pass up a guaranteed win or roll the dice?

Brian S. Karpe, Esq. (860) 242-2221 Note: This response DOES NOT constitute legal advice and therefore no specific action should be taken in reliance thereon. No attorney-client relationship is created through this response. You should speak to an licensed attorney in your state who is competent to answer your question before taking any action with regard to this question.