Would this be considered a sham/fraudulent marriage?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

My ex and I divorced on good terms 8 years ago. We have a 16-yr old son; he remarried 3yrs ago to a non-US who lives in Italy; he lives in CA; never lived 2gether. 12 mos after marriage he changed life ins bene from me to new wife for immigration purposes.

6 mos later: NW is visiting him here in the US; he dies in a questionable motorcycle accident; The next day NW calls his employer for insurance benefits totaling $500k; No will; They spent a total of 3 months together; NW had the body cremated asap. Our son is left with nothing. She didnt even give any ashes to him.

We asked her to give $100k for college trust for my son or we report her for sham marriage; at first she agreed, but has since changed her mind. Her INS case continues because she was in US when he died.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Wow, the real question is was she responsible for his death and how to prove it, you need an Attorney as soon as you read this message. Please feel free to call my office even on the weekend. I have connections in Italy which might help you uncover vital evidence for the type of suit I contemplate and we need to stop the insurance company from disbursing the proceeds.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Does not look like a sham marriage for immigration purposes to me.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Tobie Brina Waxman

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Not clear on what your motivation is or what you are trying to accomplish. With respect to the life insurance, a person can name anyone he or she wants as the beneficiary his/her life insurance policy. There is no legal obligation to name a family member, to provide for your family via life insurance, or to be married to the person you name as a beneficiary. If you have any information about the policy - who the carrier/provider is and what the insurance policy number is, personally (and this isn't really legal advice), I'd contact the insurance company and express your concerns with them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,342 answers this week

3,014 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,342 answers this week

3,014 attorneys answering