Would the termination of my H-1B negatively affect my marriage based I-130 petition, I-485 and I-765 application?

Asked 6 months ago - New York, NY

I have been working for my current employer on a valid H1B for the past 1.5 years. My U.S. husband and I filed I-130, I-485 and I-765 three weeks ago, to change my status to permanent resident. We received the I-797C notices last week. If I lose my job in the coming weeks, would it terminate my H1b, would I be out of status, and would it negatively affect my marriage based I-130 petition, I-485 and I-765 application? Could I still stay in the U.S. legally and wait for the approval of the I-130 petition, I-485 and I-765 applications? Many many thanks´╝ü

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

1

Answered . Alot will depend on the reasons for the termination.

2. Michael Gary Kohler

Pro

2

1

Answered . If you're married to a USC and if you have been lawfully admitted to the U.S. in a valid non-immigrant status (looks like you have been as an H1B), then the fact that you fall out of status will not effect your marriage based adjustment case. I still would recommend speaking with an immigration attorney to confirm the facts and circumstances of your case.

3. Glenn Johnston

2

Answered . I agree with Mr. Segal. I recommend that you seek the assistance of an immigration attorney before you lose your job.

I would also be concerned about the length of time the K-1 visa is good for.

This does not constitute legal advice or the engagement of my services as an attorney.
  4. Alena Shautsova

Pro

1

1

Answered . If your husband is a US citizen, you will be ok even if you lose your H1B status.