Would the hardship waiver for the k1 visa b approved if the reason is I am on probation so i can't leave state w/o permission

I met my fiancée on a dating site and we have been talking all day everyday thru Facebook and want to be together. We r considering a proxy marriage and then applying for a k1 visa since we have never met n person. He tried for a visitors visa and was denied and I am on probation and probably wouldn't get permission to leave the country and will b on it for several more yrs. Would that b a reason to b approved the hardship waiver?

Marion, IN -

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Immigration Attorney - Portland, OR

First, a proxy marriage makes no sense and has no value with immigration.

Second, no, I don't see you qualifying for a waiver because of the fact that you committed a crime.

Talk to an attorney for more information.

Mani Khavajian

Mani Khavajian

Immigration Attorney - Dearborn, MI

I agree, the fact that you are on probation will not be a valid basis for a waiver. You really should discuss your situation with an immigration attorney if you really want her to join you in the U.S.
Best of Luck!

This is general information and not legal advise. This communication does not create a lawyer-client relationship.
Wendy Rebecca Barlow

Wendy Rebecca Barlow

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

As an initial matter, a proxy marriage will be of little value. It would not help you achieve your ultimate goal of being together.

I do not think the fact that your are on probation and therefore, cannot travel will be sufficient grounds to establish hardship. Have you even asked your probation officer whether they would authorize your brief travel outside the United States? Hardship can be established for a variety of reasons, but it is a very fact-intensive inquiry. It would be best advised to speak with an experienced immigration attorney about your unique situation.

As a side note, you should consult an experienced immigration attorney regarding your criminal history. Some criminal convictions make a person ineligible to petition for a fiance/spouse.

Lalita Haran

Lalita Haran

Immigration Attorney - Carmel, IN

Inability to travel because of probation is not a ground for successful waiver. You do not need a proxy marriage for fiancee visa.