Would the hardship waiver for the k1 visa b approved if the reason is I am on probation so i can't leave state w/o permission

Asked about 1 year ago - Marion, IN

I met my fiancée on a dating site and we have been talking all day everyday thru Facebook and want to be together. We r considering a proxy marriage and then applying for a k1 visa since we have never met n person. He tried for a visitors visa and was denied and I am on probation and probably wouldn't get permission to leave the country and will b on it for several more yrs. Would that b a reason to b approved the hardship waiver?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . First, a proxy marriage makes no sense and has no value with immigration.

    Second, no, I don't see you qualifying for a waiver because of the fact that you committed a crime.

    Talk to an attorney for more information.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  2. Mani Khavajian


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree, the fact that you are on probation will not be a valid basis for a waiver. You really should discuss your situation with an immigration attorney if you really want her to join you in the U.S.
    Best of Luck!

    This is general information and not legal advise. This communication does not create a lawyer-client relationship.
  3. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As an initial matter, a proxy marriage will be of little value. It would not help you achieve your ultimate goal of being together.

    I do not think the fact that your are on probation and therefore, cannot travel will be sufficient grounds to establish hardship. Have you even asked your probation officer whether they would authorize your brief travel outside the United States? Hardship can be established for a variety of reasons, but it is a very fact-intensive inquiry. It would be best advised to speak with an experienced immigration attorney about your unique situation.

    As a side note, you should consult an experienced immigration attorney regarding your criminal history. Some criminal convictions make a person ineligible to petition for a fiance/spouse.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  4. Lalita Haran

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Inability to travel because of probation is not a ground for successful waiver. You do not need a proxy marriage for fiancee visa.

    My answers are for general information only, NOT A legal advice because these are not tailored to your specific... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,312 answers this week

3,083 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,312 answers this week

3,083 attorneys answering