Would the court bring up my past traffic tickets if I sue someone?

San Jose, CA |

If I sue someone for my car damages from a hit and run, would the court bring up my speeding tickets I've had in the past? Because my parents don't know about my speeding tickets..

No. Your speeding tickets would not be relevant to your claim for your car damages from a hit and run.

This response applies only to California law, is not intended to be legal advice to any individual and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Your prior tickets would have no relevancy to the present cause of action.

-Matt Dolman
www.dolmanlaw.com

This advice should not be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

They are NOT relevant in this proceeding. A motion in limine - a legal document preventing your opponent from pursuing a line of questioning - should be filed if the matter is to be tried to a jury.

If your car was insured, it would be so much simpler for you to put a claim through your own insurance company and let them go after the at fault driver. That would obviate the need for any of this discussion.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links: ccandiano@themargolisfirm.com http://www.themargolisfirm.com

If you do sue, the information may be exposed during the discovery process if the opposing attorney asks questions about it even though it would not be allowed in an actual trial.

I can’t imagine your past traffic tickets would be relevent evidence and the Court should not accept that information into evidence.

This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.