Would one be eligible for unemployment benefits if the decision was made to quit due to unsafe & unhealthy working conditions?

Greenville, SC |

Suspicions of mold in work environment have been proven via an Industrial Hygiene Inspection conducted at workplace, indicating abnormally high levels of mold spores, including toxic black mold. Despite numerous complaints made to management over months, nothing has been done to remedy the situation. Due to reoccurring health issues, a mycotoxin panel was conducted, resulting in positive indication of tricothecene levels in body, resulting from molds actually found on Industrial Hygiene Test conducted on site. Allergy testing also have proven positive reactions to dust mites (found in areas of high moisture & humidity) and mold types found on mold testing done on site. I am tired of fighting, it has been years now no longer interested in "sticking it out" due to fear of losing my job.

1. Yes, but you will have to prove it. There was a recent SC case on a similar issue where the employee refused to get a flu shot. See AnMed Health v. South Carolina Dept. of Employment and Workforce, 743 S.E.2d 854 (Ct. App. 2013). You may need medical or expert testimony to prove you case. I suggest consulting with a lawyer experienced with seeking unemployment benefits.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Small business topics