Would like to know if I can sue for slander and emotional distress by being kicked off mall property

Asked 10 months ago - Vancleave, MS

i was at the mall and was trying to help my children with their fundraiser. Mall security guard told me I couldn't sell on mall property. I said okay and thank you for the information and put all fundraising in vehicle. Went into mall with children, came out and two police officers in uniform(found out they were hired security by mall) berated me and abruptly said the security guard said i continued to sell and that i was banned from the mall, they had my vehicle blocked and told me to get in my vehicle and leave. My children told me they were following me as I left the property. Found out security guard lied and said my children and I were still fundraising on premises and told the cops to look for us and kick us off property. My children and I are distraught. Have proof of slander.

Pro

4

Answered . A lawsuit would likely be fruitless. Put it behind you, and move on with your life.

2. Anders Ferrington

1

Answered . A lawsuit in this matter would gain little. You have little actual damages that could be claimed in a court of law.

3. Golnar Sargeant

Answered . It dos not rise anywhere near the level of anything actionable for emotional distress. It also does not constitute harassment under the law. Slander is spoken defamation. Truth is a defense to defamation. You were in fact selling on mall property. It sounds like what you're disputing is the continued selling that the guard said you were doing--but you would have to show the court with admissible evidence that you suffered economic damages.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now