Would it help lift my conditional status if we file taxes jointly?

Asked 9 months ago - Fullerton, CA

I am due for applying for my conditional status to be lifted by immigration soon. My husband is in jail for fraud. I have nothing to do with what he did. I am wondering if it will look better if we file taxes jointly for my status to become permanent. Or doesn't it matter whether you file jointly or separately?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

8

Answered . You should not approach it from the angle of what looks better. You should hire an immigration attorney and proceed carefully and correctly.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

4

Answered . That is just one factor to be considered.

The bigger issue for him is that he may get deported for having committed the crime of fraud.

Meet with an immigration lawyer.

3. Ashkan Yekrangi

Pro

2

Answered . When applying for the conditions to be lifted, the USCIS looks to your marriage to make sure it is bona fide and that you two are still together. Your husband's actions should not have any effect on you.

4. Ai Nhan Mina Tran

Pro

2

Answered . As long as you did not have anything to do with the fraud, then you should focus on showing that you have a bona fide marriage with your husband. This might be difficult if you two have not been living together for some time. In addition to the taxes, consider including any letters or visitation records from when you visited him in jail.