Would it be wise to take a copy of a person Visa and status to the jail and submit to the ICE agent?

Asked over 1 year ago - Norcross, GA

this person has had an ICE hold for at least 24 hours.

1. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Whenever you are dealing with ICE, it is important to at least get a consultation with an experienced Immigration Attorney. All of the issues and the immigration consequences are not always obvious. Before you submit anything, do talk with an attorney.

2. Philip Alan Eichorn

3

Answered . I'd retain counsel to do that. Many times the ICE office is looking for reasons to release the foreign national and providing them proof of status is one of the avenues. With that said, if they have a hold on them, then that usually means there is some criminal activity that could cause mandatory detention without bond. So again the best avenue is to retain counsel.

3. Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost

Pro

3

Answered . I agree that you should retain counsel when you have to deal with ICE. The matter is more complicated than simply posting bond. As such, it is best to involve counsel at the earliest time possible.