Would it be wise to take a copy of a person Visa and status to the jail and submit to the ICE agent?

Norcross, GA |

this person has had an ICE hold for at least 24 hours.

I'd retain counsel to do that. Many times the ICE office is looking for reasons to release the foreign national and providing them proof of status is one of the avenues. With that said, if they have a hold on them, then that usually means there is some criminal activity that could cause mandatory detention without bond. So again the best avenue is to retain counsel.

I agree that you should retain counsel when you have to deal with ICE. The matter is more complicated than simply posting bond. As such, it is best to involve counsel at the earliest time possible.

Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street, Suite 3320, Chicago, IL 60603 Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site:

I agree with my colleagues. Whenever you are dealing with ICE, it is important to at least get a consultation with an experienced Immigration Attorney. All of the issues and the immigration consequences are not always obvious. Before you submit anything, do talk with an attorney.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Recommended articles about Immigration