Would it be wise to take a copy of a person Visa and status to the jail and submit to the ICE agent?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Norcross, GA

this person has had an ICE hold for at least 24 hours.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Whenever you are dealing with ICE, it is important to at least get a consultation with an experienced Immigration Attorney. All of the issues and the immigration consequences are not always obvious. Before you submit anything, do talk with an attorney.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.... more
  2. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I'd retain counsel to do that. Many times the ICE office is looking for reasons to release the foreign national and providing them proof of status is one of the avenues. With that said, if they have a hold on them, then that usually means there is some criminal activity that could cause mandatory detention without bond. So again the best avenue is to retain counsel.

  3. Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree that you should retain counsel when you have to deal with ICE. The matter is more complicated than simply posting bond. As such, it is best to involve counsel at the earliest time possible.

    Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail: mc@madridcrost.com; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street,... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Immigration holds and deportation

If you are an immigrant, certain actions, including criminal offenses, can lead to your deportation, although you still have legal rights.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,444 answers this week

3,418 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,444 answers this week

3,418 attorneys answering