Would it be logical to attend my initial hearing (I was just indicted) for posession of a sawed off shotgun without an attorney?

Covington, KY |
Filed under: Criminal defense

Was told that I may have a bond set during this hearing and I am worried that if I pay the attorney that I won't have the money for the bond and then will end up sitting in jail anyway. Thought it would be best to attend this hearing alone and hire the attorney after I find out what, if any, the bond amount is going to be. I understand that with an attorney I might have a good chance of having no bond but I also know that it isn't guarenteed.

Is it logical to try and fly a plane without any experience? You really do need to have an attorney. It is never smart to try and go at such things alone. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed to you by the court.

However, not all cities have a program to appoint a lawyer if you are out on a bond. Then again, all cities allow the first visit to be reset to have a lawyer. In the real world it is ok to not have a lawyer the first time in court if you remember to say you are "not guilty" but bring the lawyer the second time.

Hire a competent criminal defense attorney in your area ASAP!

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

An attorney can take a bond assignment for part or all of his fee. That way you can be out of jail working on your defense while your attorney is working for you. Don't wait to hire an attorney.