Would it be better to hire a lawyer or get a court appointed lawyer?

Asked over 2 years ago - Mobile, AL

I have charges in Alabama, I was arrested in Michigan. They gave me until Feb 29th to turn myself in down there. My bond down there is 1,500$ but I will not be able to leave the state without filing a motion. How would I get a court appointed lawyer to file the motion without sitting in jail?

1. Brian Joseph Lockwood

Pro

2

Answered . In Mobile, private attorneys handle all court appointments. As you've read, some are better than others. If you can afford it, you must hire your own lawyer. If not, you should find local counsel as soon as possible. Most of us offer free consultations.

2. Randy William Ferguson

1

Answered . Hire an attorney if you can afford it. You decide their fees and pick who you want. There are some very good appointed lawyers if you can't afford one.

3. Benjamin J Lieberman

1

Answered . There are good and bad private lawyers and there are good and bad public defenders. If you can afford an attorney then you aren't entitled to to a public defender. Hire a lawyer and s/he would be able to advise and guide you.