Would it be better for my previous employer to give me a small severence pay rather than file unemployment against the company?

Asked over 3 years ago - New Orleans, LA

Is it legal to accept a sum of money paid to me in exchange for my not filing UE?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Answered . I am not really sure it matters. If you are fired, you can request a severance and still file for unemployment. Unemployment is an entitlement program separate from the company. The employers pay into a pool that the money comes from. It does not work as directly as the employer is directly funding your unemployment claim. I do not see why you do not ask for both a severance and file for unemployment.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

37,611 answers this week

3,941 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

37,611 answers this week

3,941 attorneys answering