Would it be a mistake to ask for a settlement from a creditor when we are in private arbitration?

Goodyear, AZ |

I have no case as they have objected to everything I asked for. The only case I thought I had was breach of a verbal contract which I cannot prove without documentation from the creditor.

Mr. Konst is correct. Based on the facts presented, you do not appear to have a position of strength from which to bargain. As to whether or not you can try to negotiate some sort of settlement agreement, you should try to negotiate as best you can. Your facts are silent as to the amount at issue. If it is a substantial amount, you should seek the assistance of a local debt settlement attorney.

When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. 

2. Absent the threat of bankruptcy, you appear to lack leverage in the facts you have given.

I am not your attorney. Contact an attorney for advice immediately.

3. Settlement is always an option.

This answer does not create an attorney client relationship between you and I. I am not your attorney unless we both sign a written contract that describes our relationship and terms of the representation. Any information provided to you here is not a substitute for the advice you need to pursue any legal matter. I advise you to retain the services of a local attorney before taking any legal action in this matter.

4. You have not provided much information. However, you can always inquire as to whether the other party is amenable to settlement.

The above statement does not create an attorney-client relationship and the submitting party should not consider the responding their attorney.