Would I lose my mn.drivers licence for first time offence for driving a car without insurance.no accident, no other tickets .

Asked over 1 year ago - Minneapolis, MN

I got pulled over brake lamp out, but I forgot to put insurance on car( stupid of me). Am 63 years old, perfect driver, no tickets, no accidents, no claims in last 35 years of driving. This is a first for me. Can I lose my licence for 30 days and or a fine? I put insurance on the car 2 hrs. after getting pulled over. Officer gave me a paper to fill out and send in . got stopped in mpls.Hennipin co. I never drink or smoke anything.

1. Christian Ryan Peterson

3

Answered . A plea to a charge of no insurance will cause your license to be revoked for at least 30 days. It is best to try to avoid a conviction for that charge. The fact that you put insurance on the card immediately after is a positive for you. You should speak to the prosecutor and see if there is anything you can do to avoid a conviction. It might also be a good idea to retain a defense attorney to assist you. Feel free to call me with questions.

2. Jeremy Judson Cobb

1

Answered . That's good that you were no drinking or smoking "anything." It would have made a bad situation worse. I'm sorry about this lapse of insurance coverage.

Mr. Peterson is correct: a conviction for no proof of insurance under Minn. Stat. §§ 169.791 - .799 comes with a mandatory revocation. See Minn. Stat. § 169.792 subd. 7 (Minn. Stat. § 169.797 subd. 4(f) (“not longer than 12 months,” though typically suspension is 30 days). Note that Minn. Stat. § 169.792 subd. 7 incorrectly refers to “paragraph (c).” It was not properly updated following the 2011 amendments to Minn. Stat. § 169.797.).

Moreover, if the person whose driver’s license is revoked is also the owner, there is simultaneous vehicle registration revocation (Minn. Stat. § 169.792 subd. 12).

There are little tricks of the trade with insurance violations (not dishonest, mind you), so consult competent counsel immediately. Some cities, such as Maple Grove, won't offer any plea deals on insurance violations, so you want to get a lawyer here.

3. George Costas Andriotis

Pro

2

Answered . You could get a fine for the tail light and for no proof of insurance but will not lose your license. What form did the officer give you to fill out?

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  4. David B Pittman

Pro

Answered . You should consider hiring a lawyer to help you with this.