Skip to main content

Would I get deported for using my green card and my old ssn number?

Indianapolis, IN |

I recently got the U visa my situation is very complicated so I only got the green card but no new ssn number . I really needed a job so I can have a place to live and have food on the table . So I got a job using my new green card and my old ssn number and now I'm worried I could get deported and don't know what to do

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The Immigration Service doesn't issue SSN. Your old number is forever - use it! You may get a new card, though, by applying with your local Social Security office


Do not be worried. Social security number is one and the same. It is the card that you need to change. The number will remain the same.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


As others have stated, your social security number has not changed, if it was issued to you lawfully.

if you have a valid Lawful Permanent Resident (greencard) status, you are authorized to work in the US and are not in danger of getting deported for that.

The information you obtained at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Asma Chaudry invites you to contact her directly at her office in Edison, New Jersey, and welcomes your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting Asma Chaudry does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to her until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established. (732) 662-4125.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer