Would I get charged with fraud if I sold my collateral?

Asked about 1 year ago - El Cajon, CA

I owe $1000 on a personal loan I put my car up for collateral .If I sold the car what will happen?

1. Michael Charles Doland

5

Answered . If you paid your debt from the proceeds of sale, nothing.

2. Albert Lee Crosner

4

Answered . Best answer goes to my colleague Attorney Doland.

3. Scott Richard Kaufman

2

Answered . If the lender has a lien on it, you may not be able to sell it at all, maybe.
    I agree with two prior responses.

4. Benjamin H. Ballard

1

Answered . There is a difference between having a "lien" on collateral and "perfecting" it so it is enforceable. An agreement to use a car as collateral creates a lien on the car. The lien can only be perfected by registering the car in the lienholder's name with DMV or taking possession of the car. If you sell the car and the lien hasn't been perfected, the lender has a right to sue you for the $1000, but the new owner (if a "bona fide purchaser") of the car takes it free and clear of the lien, absent some other notice or extenuating circumstance.