Would I benefit from filing bankruptcy?

Asked about 1 year ago - Memphis, TN

My car has been repossessed and I really want it back. My credit is poor and I dont have the means to get the vehicle and refinance and I am trying all my options. I only owe 5000 on the truck and its 10 years old. The balance is more than the truck is worth, so I am trying to see what could I do to get it back if anything or start all over.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alan D. Walton


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You said your CAR was repossessed, and you owe $5000 on the TRUCK, which is more than it is worth. Bankruptcy allows you to redeem your vehicle in chapter 7, meaning you make a lump sum payment equal to what it is worth (722 redemption might loan you money to do so if you do not have a lump sum); or in a chapter 13, to pay the value over time (depending on how long ago you purchased it). It makes sense to talk to a bankruptcy attorney about your options. Try the attorney finder at www.nacba.org.

  2. Jonathan Stone


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you take Alan's advice, which is dead on accurate, you better move quickly. Once your vehicle is sold to a bona fide purchaser for value, you are out of luck.

    Legal disclaimer: Jonathan Stone is a New Jersey-licensed attorney only. The information is not intended to be... more
  3. Robert J Adams Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You might call 722 Redemption to see if you qualify for a BK loan to redeem. If not you might consider a Chapter 13 to get the car back and pay them the retail value over a period of time; up to 5 years. But, first contact an experienced BK lawyer who handles both 7 and 13.

Related Topics


Bankruptcy is a legal way for people or businesses who are no longer capable of paying back their bills to clear these debts and start over.

Chapter 7 bankruptcy

Chapter 7 bankruptcy is a form of bankruptcy where your debts are canceled, but some of your assets are sold to pay off part of your debt.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,358 answers this week

2,843 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,358 answers this week

2,843 attorneys answering